I started out agreeing with Hypo, but then it went south and so I'll throw my two bits in on the Engy and MM striker builds. Note: I was probably one of the first players to make a well developed MM Striker build when the MM-gimping...errr, I mean patch, came out in the original HG:L. I was very active in the HGL community and me and a buddy of mine pretty much developed the Striker build for the rest of the community (truth be told, most MMs gave up after that patch, and those that didn't tried to go the magic bullet/crit method).
- Bots: You go overboard on a couple things here, and invest in some useless skills (like Hypo said) as well. You will want to plan for gear sets that have +skills (either naturally, or by augmenting), so since you plan on having the +1 all skills helmet, plus some +3 skills on gear, never go about 6 or 7 on anything. Therefore, take Molotov to 6, take the minimum for the Rocket bot, get rid of Nanobots and reduce Spider to about 5. As Hypo said, put Haste at 3 and leave it.
- Drones: On the left side, you're good to go. On the right side, you've skipped the most important (again, as Hypo mentioned) skill here, Master engineer. Your drone is first and foremost, your tank. Secondly, its a tank. Lastly, it's a damage dealer/healer (bet you thought I was going to say, "tank" again didn't you?). So, get Master Engy to 5, and maybe get Drone Construction to 5 as well (for more hp). Almost all of your gear is going to have +pet health, armor or damage on it, so you'll want to invest lightly here, but not too lightly, a nice bit of moderation is what is required.
- Spec Ops: OK, you screwed this part up royally (sorry, don't take it personally, it's a learning process). First off, you want everything in this tree except Rapid Fire. So, get the minimum in each to start with. Secondly, the strikes are HUGE dps and are synergistic, so you need to get some points in them. Ssshhh, here is a secret, Smackdown is the king skill in all of HG:G...don't tell anyone
. Smackdown has an enormous stun effect strength, get this guy into the 3500-4000 range and you'll be stunning everything short of Dessi (which means you'll be stunning Molly and his co-horts effectively). So, drop 2-3 points in Smackdown, 0-2 in SiA (pretty worthless actually, but just one point takes the AoE from 20m diameter to 24m), and 3-4 in Napalm which effects the duration, thus the amount of damage since it is a DoT AoE. Lastly, phase grenade has two purposes, it is a great (de)buff, second it is a great thing to toss on mobs rushing you to give you some breathing room.Special note on Smackdown
: Smackdown will be your crowd control weapon. In mob dense areas like the Stonehenge maps, it is invaluable for giving your team a breather, recovery, escape, or risk-free attacking. The stun effect is so powerful that even bosses (well, Dessi might be an exception, I can't recall) will succumb to it's stun and certainly any sub-boss mobs will as well. As an MM, you'll be doing a bit of kiting (smirk), so locking down your enemies will be a huge boon to you, and combine that with Escape and you're pretty much a plexi-glass cannon instead of a plain glass cannon.
My engineer build suggestion would look like this; Geministar's Engy Striker build
Comments on Hypo's MM Striker...
- Assault: Invest in the Tactical Stance line, it is a boon to your shields and most importantly hits all of the big areas; +dmg, +accuracy, & +distance. As a fragile MM, you need to keep your distance, and a long distance means you need to be accurate, and +dmg is +dmg...right? So, invest the minimum and let +skills do the rest. Also, Elemental vision will aid your elemental attacks (this is a striker build, right?).
- Recon: Well, you missed the boat on this one. You skipped the 2nd most important skill and went crazy on the crit line. First off, you absolutely must get Multi-beacon because late in the game you'll only be facing two types of fights, boss fights and large mob fights. With the boss fights, you'll be facing the boss + all of their minions (so you need both Beacon & Multibeacon), anywhere not a boss fight you'll be facing large groups of enemies and running for your life. Multi-beacon not only increases your damage on the targets, but you also benefit from the passive Elemental Beacon boost, not to mention it's range is 40m....40m! Secondly, please put one (1) point in Sniper....go ahead, I'll wait...do you see the boosts that Sniper gives you? You remember above where we talk about +dmg, +acc, & +range? Sniper is a one-point-wonder, get it and use it because that +60% range will allow you to engage most mobs outside of their aggro range, making it an easy fight. Lastly, don't go crazy with the Deadeye or Weapon Master...I mean, you could, but it's not necessary, because you're building a striker, which means you specialize in the Demo line. Now, Multi-shot is ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY necessary, so get it to about 10 seconds with whatever your gear+points invested needs to be.
- Demolitions: Wow, you skipped EMP Blast...that's just not right. EMP Blast removes **all** of the shields from your enemies within range...all. BTW, EMP Blast also removes **all** of the shields from your enemies within about 10m diameter. Anyway, get it and keep it at 1 point, you'll be using it a lot against mobs with shields because it makes fights so much easier. Next, I appreciate your commitment to the strike line, but really, Shock and Yawn...without it's synergy, it's worthless...really, I'm not even kidding, it's useless. So, since the two stars of the show do depend on hard point investment for the synergies, I'd recommend a 6/5/3 Napalm/Smackdown/SnA apportionment. For grenades, this is a personal bit, and there are several (I'm sure) that will disagree with me, but grenades are lifesavers, especially in the early to mid-game. As a MM Striker, you are typically a ranged attacker, although you could adopt a carefree attitude by grabbing a couple of Hu's and diving into your strike fields...c'est la vie. However, I like all of the grenades for particular reasons; Explosive
is an 'on-impact' detonation, which means you can fire it and hit something immediately, this is good for spawning mobs that pop up right on top of you or behind you, also those frisky fellborn-types that try to bum-rush you, the AoE of the EG should get them all and put a hurting on them if not outright destroy them.Phase
as I said above, its a great (de)buff, but it's also a sticky grenade which has it's uses and can be a great opener on smaller fights where you don't want to waste your strikes.Toxic
prevents healing, can anyone think of an instance where preventing your enemies from healing would be beneficial...anyone...anyone? Yes, always.Concussion
...oh dear Concussion, how misunderstood you are...remember how Smackdown is the king daddy of all HGL skills? Well, the Concussion grenade does the same thing PLUS it reduces % shields as its synergy! What's not to love? Good damage, stuns to be-Jesus, reduces shields, and has a 12m diameter effect...hmmm, I guess if it had 'on-impact' it would be the 'perfect' nade.
So, with your crit-focused striker build above in mind, here is what my MM Striker build suggestion would look like;Geministar's MM Striker build
Note: Apparently, Hanbitsoft reduced the effectiveness of the strikes at levels 1 & 2, kept them the same at level 3 and increased their effectiveness by 7%, 14%, 21% and 28% for levels 4-7. Thus, late in the game, the striker build becomes even more powerful.